(For 3/24 Tea Time) Sonnetized analysis of Buffy's DoubleMeat Morality

SONNET #8: DoubleMeat Morality (Buffy, Enron, and keeping secrets)
Posted by: forensicpopouri - Mar 24, 2002, 3:04 PM

[rhetorical verse in Shakespearean sonnet form]

DOUBLEMEAT MORALITY

LET'S THINK THIS THROUGH ... when Buffy had found out

that DoubleMeat's a lie -- a scam of sorts,

a veggie fraud -- she did not rush to shout

the news to all, nor tell it to the courts.

NO, Buffy would not blackmail them, of course.

WELL, not for cash to keep their secret hushed.

No big-bucks pay-off, though she had the force.

BUT YES, to be rehired where she'd been flushed.

A petty blackmail to go back to work.

Join in the fraud, for "chump change" she'd keep quiet.

She'd smile and sell the two-meat lie. A clerk

who hides the truth from those who come to buy'it.

Would she have kept an Enron lie as well?

Workplace morality -- now folks, that's hell.

-------------------------------------------------

PREVIOUSLY POSTED SONNETS:

#1: BEYOND "NORMAL AGAIN" - tid=46649

#2: RILEY & SAM'S GROWN-UP-ITUDE - tid=47071

#3: WHAT DO WE HOLD SACRED? - tid=47636

#4-7 WHY I POST IN SHAKESPEAREAN SONNETS (4-sonnet sequence)
     PART 1 - tid=48156
     PART 2 - tid=48152

TEA TIME INVITATION: <smile> 7-8 PM Bronze TIme ... "TEA TIME in L.A. thread will be posted.
Posted by: forensicpopouri - Mar 24, 2002, 5:57 PM 1 of 7

Thanks, P.J. ... I'm still working on the science of Tea Time execution<smile>.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but it appears that "BRONZE TIME" is
Eastern Time in the U.S.

Now, why on earth Bronze time should be on New York City time,
when Sunnydale ... me ... Spike (seen him in the supermarket) ...
are in the Pacific time zone is beyond me <smile> ... but, to keep it straight:

Tea Time in L.A. is

4-5 PM Out here in California

5-6 PM in the Rockies

6-7 PM in the Big Easy

7-8 PM in the Big Apple ... and on the Bronze clock.

12-1 AM in London

As for Daylight Savings time ... for one week it appears London
will be ahead of U.S. on Daylight Savings time shift ... so,
I'm thinking that "L.A. Tea Time" will be 11:00 PM-12 Midnight
for a week ... before U.S. shifts forward, too.

But I'll have to see what the Bronze clock does when the U.S. shift comes. <smile>

In any case ... I'll be posting the "Tea Time in L.A." thread at 7 PM Bronze time, today.

Dear forensicpopouri...
Posted by: Pleasant Guest - Mar 24, 2002, 5:26 PM 2 of 7

Why not simply post a proper invitation to tea?

Stating time, place, dress code if neccessary?

That's how I handle my tea parties.

(smile)

SORRY ABOUT TIME CONFUSION <smile> this thread is NOT Tea Time, but a reference post
Posted by: forensicpopouri - Mar 24, 2002, 5:00 PM 3 of 7

I'm still working out a good strategy to handle Tea Time.

THIS THREAD ... is not Tea Time .... but a
reference link to link to when Tea Time comes around.

I try to post something earlier in the day for that day's
Tea Time ... and I label that/them:

(For date</I> Tea Time)

Normally I try to do that by Noon Pacific ... but not always.

"TEA TIME in L.A." thread gets posted/started at Tea Time. <smile>
4:00 PM Pacific, 00:00 GMT (until the time change <g>).

Thanks for "early" response to today's sonnet ... that's always
fine to do. (Gives me some feedback before Tea Times starts).

Yada yada yada... <smile> as I said, I'm still working out how
to do this in a "sane" way.

Later.

I keep missing tea time FP
Posted by: prunehilda - Mar 24, 2002, 4:25 PM 4 of 7

But I had a decent excuse for Saturday. BtVs airs at 5pm on Saturdays on an independent station in my neck of the woods which is 4pm your time.Sooooo, did you solve your problem with Daylight Savings Time. Here is the answer if you didn't. The clocks actually move forward by one hour (Spring forward, fall back). 12 midnight will become 1am in London England while LA time will stay constant(ie. 4pm).This will be the case for one week. After the week LA time will move ahead by one hour and everything will be OK. Sorry, but I kind of hone in problems and have to seek an answer. I confess I have Bachelor of Science degree with a minor in economics. I'm trying to reconcile my left brain with my right brain. Thats why the poetry etc. I'm interested in the poetry of science and the science of poetry.

doublemeat P
Posted by: holywater - Mar 24, 2002, 4:21 PM 5 of 7

Earl grey with milk and no sugar please..

Buffy never tries to fight the corruption of the world, in the sense of organised corporate evil. Even she hasn't got the power to do that!

They've brought that into Angel + I think it's given it a really dark, almost hopeless feel. Don't go there - it's the inner demons matter most anyway.

Buffy's in a sad, confused place at the moment...a fallen hero?

Oh, u have too many timezones....and wots the enron bit?

Excellent post!
Posted by: jkirch13 - Mar 24, 2002, 3:23 PM 6 of 7

I had never really thought much about this...BUT you are sooo right! It is not her character to be involved with selling a lie to the public...that must be how desperate she is for cash! Anyway...just peeked in and thought I'd tell you good point! Hmmm wonder if they will adress her job at Doublemeat soon...she can't stay there..it's sooo not Buffy!

FOOTNOTE regarding Sonnet #8
Posted by: forensicpopouri - Mar 24, 2002, 3:09 PM 7 of 7

NOTE: I composed this right after seeing "DoubleMeat Palace"
back when it aired.