TEA TIME in L.A. 4/2 7-8PM: TOPIC: Writing the BALLAD of SMG...to the tune of"Going Through The Mot

Welcome to "a very special" edition of TEA TIME in L.A. (7-8 PM Bronze Time) . . .
Posted by: forensicpopouri - Apr 02, 2002, 7:00 PM

. . . where we normally polish our pointy tongues by talking in verse.

BUT TODAY . . . the VERSE-ONLY RULE is suspended
            as we write a song / ballad
                           about Sarah Michelle Gellar

sung to the tune of Going Through The Motions

(the first song of Once More, With Feeling)

TODAY'S SONNET (#25/154) will tell you how this came about
(and the notes in the responses will give you SMG info, AND a lesson
on rewriting Going Through The Motions as a "ballad" about SMG.)

HERE'S THE BRONZE ADDRESS/LINK:

I'll be here until 8:PM Bronze time . . .

========

GENERAL TEA TIME QUESTIONS? See the Sonnet & Tea TIme FAQ

TEA TIME "EVOLUTION" QUESTION: WHAT HAPPENED TO THE IDEA . . .
. . . that the topic of each daily TEA TIME thread would be
an episode of Buffy the Vampire Slayer?
TRANSIENT ANSWER:I'll still be watching one BtVS episode per day
(today's is The Witch BtVS#3), and if anyone feels inspired
to comment on The Episode of The Day <g> -- we will do so.
BUT if something in the Bronze or the Buffyverse
compels our attention that day . . . well, you get the idea.

TEA TIME hour is . . .
4-5 PM in Los Angeles,7-8 PM in NYC & Bronze
11-12 AM in London (Midnight-1:00 AM after 4/7)
10-11 AM in Sydney (9-10AM after 4/7 due to U.S. Daylight Savings Time)

TEA TIME HAS ENDED
Posted by: forensicpopouri - Apr 02, 2002, 8:05 PM 1 of 13

Very big smile and praise for monkeywithoutpants</g> . . .

I've heard that Duckwheat has been going around singing his song.
Sounds like you've got a hit. <g>

TO ALL: Remember that TEA TIME is a daily thing . . . (at least for now).

The TEA TIME in L.A. thread will be posted (at the top of the Bronze forums)
at 7:00 PM Bronze Time.

As I said below, I'm not currently giving out an email address within
the Bronze . . . but if you need to "talk" to me . . . you can find me
any day . . .

. . . at TEA TIME.

POOF until tomorrow.

THE END of TEA TIME fast approaches . . .
Posted by: forensicpopouri - Apr 02, 2002, 7:58 PM 2 of 13

I'll scan for new messages, and then wrap this up for today.

hee hee . . .
Posted by: monkeywithoutpants - Apr 02, 2002, 7:56 PM 3 of 13

My bad. Meant to say- But why sing about SMG when . . .

Had a banana in my typing hand. *g*

But sing about SMG when you can sing about our Bronze hero Duckwheat?
Posted by: monkeywithoutpants - Apr 02, 2002, 7:51 PM 4 of 13

(Sung to Going Through The Motions)

Every single night, we wait for Duckwheat

You never know when he'll appear.

Post the Bronze's rules ... that we all be sweet --

Never disagree.All play nicey nice.

Some kiss Duckwheat's toes. Some say he blows

But surely we all know...

... that he's posting with emotions

more than we can tell.

He reposts the Bronze's rules so well.

. . . . . .

Will he keep this up forever.

Post until his fingers sever

ev'ry nerve (I'm feeling clever)

Let's all praise Duckwheat!

He's posting with emotions

more than we can tell.

He's not posting spam.

No more than I am.

He just wants us to play ni-i-i-i-ice.

*g*

ASIDE
Posted by: forensicpopouri - Apr 02, 2002, 7:45 PM 5 of 13

<Although "sonnet" means "little song" . . .

. . . we don't have a lute in here to pluck in the background. <smile>

To me, "Going Through The Motions" is the most fun to sing.
(I've even programmed my cell phone ringtone to play it.)

And it's certainly a tune we all know, so if anyone writes
"poetry" to fit that melody, we all know how to sing that.

What's the point? <smile>
Well, you'd have to read through the FAQ . . . and Tea Time history.

Hey, Chauny . . . you're right about GTTM giving a picture of SMG 's situation . . . As for. . .
Posted by: forensicpopouri - Apr 02, 2002, 7:38 PM 6 of 13

What I'm playing with here is "telling a biographical story"
(a ballad was a tale told in song).

Not trying improve Joss's song. <g>

Just using something we all know as the basis
to get the hang of telling tales in song form.

Hi yelnif . . . about my email address
Posted by: forensicpopouri - Apr 02, 2002, 7:33 PM 7 of 13

Here in The Bronze I'm following a rule of not giving out an email address.

But, for the time being, I'll be starting a thread at 7:00 PM (Bronze Time),
so anyone will always be able to reach me with a public message
during that hour.

Seems strange, I know. but there are secret reasons for this.<smile>

Listen to teh lyrics in teh first place
Posted by: Chauny - Apr 02, 2002, 7:29 PM 8 of 13

First of all the original lyrics to GOING THROUGHT THE MOTIONS may already describe S.M.G. on more of an emotional level...........Think Abou It................

Every single night the same arrangment i go out and fight the fight (doesn't realy apply unless you talk about being int he public eye)

Still i always feel the strangest strangement nothing her is real nothing here is right(obviously nothing is real its a t.v. show)

I've been making shows of tradign blows just hoping no one knows, that i've been goingthrough the motions walking throught eh part.(that ones pretty self explanitory )

.........and the song goes on

but if you want to know her first acting gig was ina Burger King commercial.

Forensic poetry...
Posted by: yelnif - Apr 02, 2002, 7:26 PM 9 of 13

do you have an email address?

Having finished my songwriting lesson for today <smile> . . .
Posted by: forensicpopouri - Apr 02, 2002, 7:14 PM 10 of 13

I'm now going to ponder another part of the song.

Post your own version . . . ask any question you like . . .
dish some more info on SMG for song input . . . <g>

I'll be hanging around here until 8:00 PM Bronze.

Based on the SMG bio info in previous post . . . I SING:
Posted by: forensicpopouri - Apr 02, 2002, 7:10 PM 11 of 13

SUNG TO THE MELODY OF "GOING THROUGH THE MOTIONS"

Once upon a time, a girl named Gellar

got a job at sweet sixteen.

Acting on TV -- so well, so stellar

Won an Emmy fast. First year on the scene.

The OLD STAR on the show said "No. No. No. . . ."

"Sweet Sarah's got to go."

"Young Sarah Gellar's too precocious, for her own damned good."

"I must run Miss Gellar from my hood."
. . . . . .

TO BE CONTINUED . . . BY YOU?

REPOST of SMG bio information (that I'm using as the basis to write an SMG ballad)
Posted by: forensicpopouri - Apr 02, 2002, 7:07 PM 12 of 13

[REPOST OF SMG BIO INFO]
What You ask is difficult
Posted by: Ron_j_d - Apr 02, 2002, 12:38 AM

That's a pretty tall order but here's some info on her...

She Played Kendel Hart, Long lost daughter of Erica Kane on "All My Children" when she was 16.

She started on the show playing a 16 year old but people complained that Erica couldn't have a secret 16 year old since she was on the show for about 18 or so years and never been away long enough to have a baby off-camera so the writers quickly made Kendel 22 which put Sarah in an ironic spot... she played over 21 when she was really 16 then on buffy she played 16 when she was really over 21. (I don't know how you can make THAT rhyme but I thought it was interesting)

She won a Daytime Emmy for the role her first year on TV.

That pissed off Susan Lucci who played her mom "Erica" for almost 20 years with no Emmies to her credit to that point (since then I think she finaly won one).

Suddenly Kendel became "Bad.. real bad" so bad that soon she had to be written off the show. (I hope your proud of yourself Susan)

But that turned out to be a blessing in disguise. She was now free to audition for a roll on a TV series based on a movie about a girl who hunts Vampires.

She auditioned for the role of a Cordelia.

She got the part of Buffy.

That's a few tidbits of what I know... hope you can use it in your assignment.

[END OF REPOST]

FOR EDUCATIONAL PURPOSES ONLY (some songwriting commentary I posted earlier today)
Posted by: forensicpopouri - Apr 02, 2002, 7:03 PM 13 of 13

Let's analyze Going Through The Motions
for a few lines, until we understand better just what
Joss was doing when he composed the words to the
first song in Once More, With Feeling (BtVS #107).

BUFFY SINGS:

(1) Ev'ry single night, the same arrangement

(2) I go out and fight the fight.

(3) Still I always feel the same estrangement:

(4) Nothing here is real. Nothing here is right.

FIRST, LET'S ANALYZE THE RHYTHM BUFFY SINGS

(1) EV'ry sin-gle NIGHT . . . . THE SAME . . ar-RANGE-MENT

(2) I go out and FIGHT . . . THE FIGHT.

(3) STILL I always FEEL . . . . THE SAME . . es-TRANGE- MENT

(4) NOTHing here is REAL . . . NOTHing here is RIGHT.

TO CLARIFY THE RHYTHMIC "DRUM BEATS" . . . IMAGINE A SNARE DRUM

(1) TA-ta ta-ta TA . . . . TA TA . . ta TA TA

(2) TA ta ta ta TA . . . . TA TA.

(3) TA ta ta ta TA . . . . TA TA . . ta TA TA

(4) TA ta ta ta TA . . . . TA ta ta ta TA.

NOW MAKE UP SOME LINES FOR THE BALLAD OF SARAH MICHELLE GELLAR
USING THE SAME RHYTHM (and yes, I'll leave you to note the rhyme).

(1) SING with all my MIGHT . . . OF SAR- . . -ah GEL-LAR.

(2) (GOSH I hope I WRITE . . THIS RIGHT.)

(3) LOVE her pretty FACE. . . . HER GRACE, so STEL-LAR.

(4) (PRAY I write good LINES . . . PRAY I keep them LIGHT.)