CORKBOARD for Wednesday's TEA TIME in L.A. (REMINDER: 7-8PM Bronze Time)

CORKBOARD for Tea Time in L.A. (REMINDER 7-8PM Bronze Time / 12-1AM London)
Posted by: forensicpopouri - Apr 10, 2002, 4:09 PM

NOTE: THIS IS NOT TEA TIME. UNLIKE TEA TIME ...
THE TEA TIME CORKBOARD IS A VERSE-FREE AREA
Use the Corkboard for messages to forensicpopouri
or discussion before or after Tea Time. And, yes, do
post feedback & suggestions about Tea Time here.

BEFORE TEA TIME, READ: tid=63873

NOTE: A TEA CHANGE
To speed up page reloads during Tea Time
the PORTAL description will be included
in the Sonnet of the Day.

SOTD: #30-31/154 - The Portal & "The Pack" - tid=63873
Sonnet Of The Day SEE NOTE ABOUT TEA CHANGE

EOTD: BtVS#6 THE PACK See the SOTD for the storyline.
Episode Of The Day

ROTM: APRIL IS NATIONAL POETRY MONTH
Reminder Of The Month

* Hail to glow for writing an iambic pentameter rhyming couplet.

* Appreciation to Supernatural_Lawyer for his support of democracy.

* Hail to yelnif AGAIN . . . for rewriting GTTM so insightfully.
Would you post it at Tea Time (or a tid) for reference?

* My profound appreciation to you all for your participation in
the midst of the complexity of interactive creative design chaos. <g>

========
NEW TO TEA TIME? SEE:
* SONNET & TEA TIME FAQ: tid=55232

THE CORKBOARD APPEARS APPROXIMATELY 3 HRS BEFORE TEA TIME.

THE NEW CORKBOARD HAS BEEN POSTED (THURSDAY'S) ===============
Posted by: forensicpopouri - Apr 11, 2002, 4:12 PM 1 of 25

It's now 2:30 AM <smile> ... and the rest of my response ...
Posted by: forensicpopouri - Apr 11, 2002, 5:40 AM 2 of 25

... will be condensed into the POSTCARD section
of tomorrow's CORKBOARD.

BOTTOM LINE:
AGAIN, MY MOST SINCERE,
AND PROFOUND THANKS TO YOU ALL FOR YOUR
PARTICIPATION
IN WHATEVER THE HELLMOUTH THIS IS.

Every day I get an inspiration that shifts
things a bit.

Tomorrow, TEA TIME will have absorbed the
wisdom and soul of your remarks and sharings.

AND ... holywater inspired (although
partly due to my misinterpretation at one moment <g>)
a change in tomorrow's TEA TIME ...

... so look forward to a new "feature." <smile>

FOR NOW ... POOF

NOTE: a slip off the right (iambic) beat <smile>
Posted by: forensicpopouri - Apr 11, 2002, 5:34 AM 3 of 25

When did I lose my own identity?

How did all facets fall to one: The Slay'r?

Can I be never freed from destiny?

Must I hide me 'neath layer under lay'r?

--------------------
NOTE: Accents are on the wrong syllable
to end a line with Slayer/layer ... unless
you "contract" them to one syllable.

A big deal? ... Yes ... in this "strange world" it is.<smile>

PS glow's couplet is not in this thread
Posted by: forensicpopouri - Apr 11, 2002, 5:24 AM 4 of 25

It is hidden in a secret thread. <g>

While it's on my mind . . . glow's iambic pentameter couplet
Posted by: forensicpopouri - Apr 11, 2002, 5:23 AM 5 of 25

I made a note of this up in the POSTCARDS from F.P.
section of the CORKBOARD ...

... but this is a really big deal.

"Getting the hang" of iambic pentameter
can be tricky, and the delicate distinctions
between composing and performance pronunciation
is complex . . .

BOTTOM LINE: Glow wrote a "perfectly formed" iambic pentameter couplet
With the "beats" on the right syllables.

WHY DOES THIS MATTER? Read "WHY I POST IN SHAKESPEAREAN ..."
<serious smile>

I have filled four pages of a (long) yellow legal pad with notes about your posts today ...
Posted by: forensicpopouri - Apr 11, 2002, 5:15 AM 6 of 25

A complete response would require a dozen sonnets.
<serious smile>

While I ponder more specific responses (heaven knows
the world may be more beautiful without them <g>),
I'll post this short quote from the same book I
quoted a few nights ago. The Grace of Great Things
by Robart Grudin.

"You might even call beauty
a kind of spiritual gravity
a natural force of attraction,
cohesion."

I leave that quote as a key to . . . everything. <smile>

(posting this now, will continue pondering notes)

REGARDING: 154
Posted by: forensicpopouri - Apr 11, 2002, 5:05 AM 7 of 25

Yes . . . that's THE Bard's number of sonnets.

Now, buried in the FOOTNOTES <smile> of the index
of TEA TIME posts and sonnets ... there is highlighted
the four-sonnet sequence I composed:

WHY I POST IN SHAKESPEREAN SONNETS
tid=48156 and tid=48152

Those sonnets are "my case" (oral argument) for
why I compose prose-like thoughts into the form
of a Shakespearean sonnet.

This rhetorical verse that I post here
has different purposes than poetry . . .

BUT with that preamble <smile> ... I now ask
"rhetorically" . . . why I list the sonnet numbers
of what I'm posting in the Bronze this way: (for example)

Sonnet #30-31/154

(By the way, the sonnets you see me posting, I'm writing
every day. They're not meant to be great works of art.
They are daily "rhetorical exercises" . . . with
purposes of beauty in a broader sense than
the art of particular lines of verse.)

Enough on that point. Something to ponder.

An hour and a half has passed since I began to dwell on your words ...
Posted by: forensicpopouri - Apr 11, 2002, 4:48 AM 8 of 25

... my first posted response may seem an odd choice,
but my ways are mysterious. <smile>

Before I do what beauty would seem to argue that I not<g>,
I shout, Black Kevlar has lost it's appeal.

A poet said that. A memorable one.

I am a rhetorician. <smile>

With that perhaps unfathomable preamble, I will now
proceed with my "strange" choice of first response:
WHICH IS to "stretch" prunehilda's sonnet's lines
(and shift around the "beats") until the form
is "perfect" iambic pentameter.

This is "strange" . . . because "poems" should not
be rewritten by anyone. Period. However <smile> in this
"strange world" I/we are carving out with TEA TIME,
I have (I hope you'll trust me on this) good cause
to "make a big deal" about conforming to form.

SO: WHAT FOLLOWS IS AN EXERCISE IN FORM
====

I ask what is the void within my life?

If anything, what does my living mean?

Oh, friends and fam'ly seem to share my strife

Yet, who among them asks my secret dream?

When did I lose my own identity?

How did all facets fall to one: The Slayer?

Can I be never freed from destiny?

Must I hide me 'neath layer under layer?

Just slay-by-number, that's what it's become

'Til where my heart was, now there's just a hole.

The parts together -- now --less than the sum.

There's more than one way you can lose your soul.

Do dreams define the dreamer? Yes, by far.

But, God, do I remember what mine are?

A few minutes past midnight in Santa Monica . . . and I'm delighted to find beauty here
Posted by: forensicpopouri - Apr 11, 2002, 3:13 AM 9 of 25

I'm going to take a while to savor all that's been
posted here (and in Tea Time) today . . . and respond
as beauty demands. <serious smile>

Just passing... Cheer cheer!
Posted by: Supernatural lawyer - Apr 10, 2002, 11:42 PM 10 of 25

"more than one way to lose your soul"
That's beautiful. Thanks for the verses. I liked your poem a lot (but what will FP say...?)

Soliloquy for Buffy (inspired by Zane Grey)
Posted by: prunehilda - Apr 10, 2002, 11:16 PM 11 of 25

I wrote this the other night just for the heck of it. The form may not be perfect but:

Questions

I ask what is missing from my life?
What, if anything, can all this mean?
Oh, friends and family share my strife
Yet, does anyone ask my secret dream?

When did I lose my own identity
And how did I become just the slayer?
Can I never be free from destiny?
Must I hide me layer under layer?

Slaying by numbers that's what it's become
'Til where my heart was there's only a hole.
The parts together are less than the sum.
There is more than one way to lose a soul.

Do dreams define the dreamer? Yes, by far
but can I remember what my dreams are?

Glow, don't feel bad
Posted by: prunehilda - Apr 10, 2002, 10:58 PM 12 of 25

I thought you were talking about numerology or feng shui, both of which are very interesting ideas.

Thanks prunehilda
Posted by: glow - Apr 10, 2002, 10:14 PM 13 of 25

Now I feel like a dolt. But thanks for the information. See what happens when you over think things. *sigh*

Shakespeare
Posted by: prunehilda - Apr 10, 2002, 8:35 PM 14 of 25

The great bard wrote 154 sonnets.

Post Script
Posted by: glow - Apr 10, 2002, 8:22 PM 15 of 25

You mentioned earlier the number 154, that it has some significance. Put me down as not knowing the significance. But here's some math with that number.

1+5+4=10 1+0=1

15+4=19 1+9=10 1+0=1

1+54=55 5+5=10 1+0=1

1+1+1=3

10+19+55=84 8+4=12 1+2=3

The one and only *glow*

One haiku, a quote and the rest is simply prose.
Posted by: glow - Apr 10, 2002, 8:11 PM 16 of 25

The hour is up.
I'm even more intrigued.
My interest is peeked.

The oracle said,

"Who will transcend this room and zap away
beyond the shimm'ring wall that faces west?"

I feel like we're unwittingly auditioning for a part; a part that has not been defined as of yet. What is past that "shimm'ring wall?" *Sigh* I don't need an oracle to know that a straightforward answer is not in my immediate future.

Taking "OFF" the Oracle's costume <g> Good Lord! . . .
Posted by: forensicpopouri - Apr 10, 2002, 8:10 PM 17 of 25

POOF (until midnight in Santa Monica)

Taking of the Oracle's costume <smile> . . . (I'll check back later)
Posted by: forensicpopouri - Apr 10, 2002, 8:08 PM 18 of 25

Good Lord, I'm tired. <g> I am off to dine . . . and sleep. <smile>

I'll check back here later (around midnight in Santa Monica 3:00 AM Bronze),
and read everything posted here with care, and respond.

Again, my most sincere thanks to all for participating in TEA TIME.

POOF (but I'll look once more time)

FP
Posted by: Supernatural lawyer - Apr 10, 2002, 6:48 PM 19 of 25

I would NEVER find Tea Time tedious. . Nothing better for intellectual stimulation (or headaches! --smile--).
If you read our (my) poor prose on the Corkboard with care, with care I will read your rich verses on Tea Time.

oops HTML error in NOTE below
Posted by: forensicpopouri - Apr 10, 2002, 6:37 PM 20 of 25

("SMALLER BUT BIGGER NOTE" should have been smaller. <g>)

NOTE TO SELF: I really like this CORKBOARD idea . . .
Posted by: forensicpopouri - Apr 10, 2002, 6:35 PM 21 of 25

NOTE TO ALL: I think much higher quality thoughts
because of you. <serious smile>

Getting ready for Tea Time post. Will read everything
here on the CORKBOARD with great care later.

NOTE: I've heard the ORACLE team <g>
has been working on his BLANK VERSE generator.

SMALLER BUT BIGGER NOTE: If TEA TIME seems pointless
and tedius . . . it's because it's being designed
as we go along . . . in response to interactions.
It should get more interesting as the days progress.

NOTE: I wonder how many know the significance of
the number 154?

prunehilda
Posted by: Supernatural lawyer - Apr 10, 2002, 6:11 PM 22 of 25

I like your quote. I would add that, in addition to materialism, cynism is another great "evil" of our time (I plead guilty by the way). Coming from Europe (France)where people are even more cynic/desilusioned than in the US (it's a myth that France is a romantic country! We're the kings of sarcasm!) , I can tell you it's refreshing to see people with the courage to still have ideals and write about them.
Just my 2 cents!

Hi FP. Doesn't anyone sleep around here?
Posted by: prunehilda - Apr 10, 2002, 6:01 PM 23 of 25

I won't be able to participate in Tea Time for a couple of days...behind in my work. I've got to be strong and resist the temptations of tea for awhile. I never was a pack animal anyway. (I will watch from the sidelines though.)
I read with interest the piece on creativity and it just so happens that I had started to read my copy of To The Last Man by Zane Grey the night before.(I collect old hard cover books by Zane Grey) The foreward contained a passage that may be of interest.

"In this materialistic age, this hard, practical, swift, greedy age of realism, it seems there is no place for writers of romance, no place for romance itself.For many years all the events leading up to the great war were realistic, and the war itself was horribly realistic, and the aftermath is likewise. Romance is only another name for idealism; and I contend that life without ideals is not worth living. Never in the history of the world were ideals needed so terribly as now. Walter Scott wrote romance; so did Victor Hugo; and likewise Kipling, Hawthorne, Stevenson. It was Stevenson, particularly, who wielded a bludgeon against the realists. People live for the dream in their hearts. And I have yet to know anyone who has not some secret dream, some hope, however dim, some storied wall to look at in the dusk, some painted window leading to the soul."

This was written in 1922 but here was a man after my own heart. A man with both feet on the ground but who couldn't help looking up at the stars. I jumped out of bed and wrote a soliloquy for Buffy but I'm working on a real poem.

TO: Supernatural_Lawyer RE: "The Project" (Democracy)
Posted by: forensicpopouri - Apr 10, 2002, 5:02 PM 24 of 25

"Poll results" <smile> (small sampling though it was)
indicated "the people" were not ready to "rise up." <smile>

The Project should therefore take a more subtle path.

"Real politik"? .... True. But not the "forget it"
kind. Just the "sneaky" kind. <smile>

Again, my profound appreciation of your support for
democracy. The question we must answer
(evolve) is what form it takes in the UPN Buffyverse.

Later.

FP (re-post-- did not notice your previous post was not the Corkboard.)
Posted by: Supernatural lawyer - Apr 10, 2002, 4:21 PM 25 of 25

Oops... Forgot my first born. Rain check?
Won't participate today (non-native English speaker here; already had a hard time with the haikus!) but I look forward to reading the Bronzers' verses.

Following up on our previous "project," any chance our voices get heard about this site? Or has "real politik" hit you... ie the demos does not really want the cratos after all? Bread and games make the Bronzers happy...and forgetful? Merciful Zeus!