CORKBOARD for Tues. TEA TIME in L.A. (#23)REMINDER: 7-8PM Bronze Time

CORKBOARD for Tues. Tea Time in L.A.(#22) REMINDER 7-8PM Bronze Time / 12-1AM London
Posted by: forensicpopouri - Apr 16, 2002, 4:05 PM

UNLIKE TEA TIME, THE "VERSE ONLY" RULE DOES NOT APPLY.
Use the Corkboard for messages to forensicpopouri
or discussion before or after Tea Time. And, yes, do
post comments, suggestions, insightful quotes, . . .

les victimes s'organisent
Supernatural_Lawyer

EOTD BtVS Episode Of The Day
#12 - PROPHECY GIRL (final episode of 1st season)

SOTD Sonnets Of The Day
#50-58/154 (8-Sonnet Sequence) DO I HAVE TO?

NOTE: Combined into topic thread - tid=71591

APRIL IS NATIONAL POETRY MONTH

* FP'S FRENCH CHIP: http://babelfish.altavista.com/
Try it out on Supernatural Layer's verse.

* NOTE: Yesterday's sonnet lesson on the iambic pentameter
of the first line of prunehilda's sonnet . . . was not a joke.
The options listed were possible rewrites in iambic pentameter.

* SLEEPY NOTE: I actually fell asleep several times writing today's
sonnets. <smile> I've read all your comments from yesterday. And smile.

===
NEW TEA TIME GUESTS READ:
* YESTERDAY'S TEA TIME: tid=70254

THE CORKBOARD APPEARS APPROXIMATELY 3 HRS BEFORE TEA TIME.

END OF CORKBOARD #23 ==== NEW CORKBOARD #24 IS UP AT tid=74175 ==========
Posted by: forensicpopouri - Apr 17, 2002, 4:07 PM 1 of 19

Ooops . . . wrong sonnet address link . . . here's the right one
Posted by: forensicpopouri - Apr 17, 2002, 10:52 AM 2 of 19

tid=73798

RE: WHEN SHE WAS BAD BtVS 2.1

SONNETS #58-61: RESURRECTION'S A BITCAH (aka STAY, BAD BUFFY, STAY)

EARLY LINK TO TODAY'S SONNETS . . . BtVS 2.1 "When She Was Bad" tid=73798
Posted by: forensicpopouri - Apr 17, 2002, 10:46 AM 3 of 19

The 13th episode. The first of the second season. Joss wrote it. I wrote 4 sonnets about it. My bad. <g>

GILES
Posted by: goodtvguy - Apr 17, 2002, 6:10 AM 4 of 19

. . . I think we should start your training again.

BUFFY
I’m ready. . . .

WILLOW
Posted by: goodtvguy - Apr 17, 2002, 5:59 AM 5 of 19

I couldn’t think of anything. It’s a dumb game anyway.

EXT. SUNNYDALE— CEMETERY— NIGHT (BtVS 2.1 "When She Was Bad" - Scene 1)
Posted by: goodtvguy - Apr 17, 2002, 5:48 AM 6 of 19

Pan across and over to the sidewalk along the cemetery boundary.
WILLOW and XANDER are on their way home. Xander has an ice
cream cone and he and Willow are playing a game.

FOR THE TIME-IMPAIRED: CONDENSED VERSION OF ALL MY COMMENTS BELOW:
Posted by: forensicpopouri - Apr 17, 2002, 5:12 AM 7 of 19

Tennis, anyone?

GOOD LORD! There's one last thing I want to say about SHAKESPEREAN SONNET FORM
Posted by: forensicpopouri - Apr 17, 2002, 5:09 AM 8 of 19

PONDER THIS PHRASE:

SHAKESPEAREAN SONNET

In the English speaking world, there is no higher level of
cultural icon than William Shakespeare.
(Whether that is truly warranted or not is open
to debate, but it simply the case that that is so.)

A lot of what gets called "poetry" is pretty
awful stuff. And, lord knows, a lot of what I write
may well be pretty awful stuff <smile>

. . . BUT whatever in bloody hell you write . . .
and take the time and discipline to put into
SHAKESPEAREAN SONNET FORM . . .

. . . IS . . . by formal definition . . . a bloody
sonnet in Shakesperean (or English) form.

It may be a sodding awful Shakesperean sonnet,
BUT it is a Shakespearean form sonnet.

In a world where information buries us all . . . where sentences
are strewn beyond all possibility of reading them all . . .
into this maelstrom . . . YOU can cast your voice . . .

. . . in Shakespeares form.

I say . . . that is of some< b>cultural significance.

I hope you will join me . . . in this "game" . . . of beauty.

LATER.

THE RULES . . . AND TEA TIME
Posted by: forensicpopouri - Apr 17, 2002, 4:56 AM 9 of 19

The best way to think about "the rules" I have laid down for
TEA TIME . . .

. . . is NOT to think of them as constraints on ART.

BUT RATHER like the rules of a sport.
Like Baseball or Football, etc.

The rules are arbitrary. But they are the rules of the game.

NOW . . . in the grand scheme, I have more profound reasons
(having to do with the future of online interaction, drama, and
democracy, etc) . . . to attempt to get more people to try this.

BUT <smile> . . . as far as TEA TIME goes . . . consider it a "game"
where the RULES are such and so.

Hence: Resistance is futile. <serious smile>

LATER. (Off to write sonnets. I pray they come. <smile>)

OH YES . . . ABOUT "THE RULES" . . .
Posted by: forensicpopouri - Apr 17, 2002, 4:48 AM 10 of 19

I've got to get started on today's sonnet(s), so I'll keep this short for now . . .

Remember that I use the phrase rhetorical verse to
describe the sonnet-form things I'm writing. Not poetry.

Just a few years ago, I would have thought the idea of writing . . .
what is, in essence, an essay . . . or op-ed, or "legal argument" <smile>
within the formal constraints of a Shakesperean sonnet
was nuts. BUT EXPERIENCE in online debate led me
to . . . JUST TRY . . . to see if I could do it.

BOOM. And I do mean BOOM. What a revelation.
1. My "philosophical" arguments were so "long winded" some
clever girl (who shall forever remain nameless <g> OK, "Joy")
used to make fun of them. "Yada yada yada."

Making my CASE in sonnet form . . . cured the "length" problem.
AND . . . <smile> and the mocking stopped "real quick." <g>

2. AS A SIDE EFFECT . . . I found that by running my "first thought"
into the "sonnet machine" . . . it automatically got shifted around
into new possibilities. (Thinking of another way to say something . . .

. . . or SOME OTHER true thing you wouldn't have thought of if you
hadn't been (using a rhyming dictionary) to come up with a rhyme
match . . . AND get the iambic pentameter right.

AS I SAID ON THE LAST CORKBOARD (and in that 4-sonnet sequence
about why I write Shakesperean sonnets), using the form "makes
you 'think differently' . . . sometimes better. Sometimes poetically.

[TO BE CONTINUED BRIEFLY IN ONE MORE POST]

A FEW "PROCESS" DETAILS . . . (Project Diary)
Posted by: forensicpopouri - Apr 17, 2002, 4:33 AM 11 of 19

For the curious (and to remind myself what in bloody hell I'm going<g>)
here's my process for daily Tea Time responses.

(1) Go to each of the Tea Time discussion threads for that day (e.g., #23)
* 23 - CORKBOARD
* 23 - TERRACE
* 23 - PORTAL
and copy all the thread text . . . and pasting all of it into one file.

(2) Then I go through that file reading everything, and HIGHLIGHTING
with various sizes and colors things that I need to pay special attention to
in the evolution of Tea Time. And, of course, the humor. AND, of course,
all the sucking up etc. <ewg> Seriously . . . everything that you invest your
consciousness into putting into these threads gets my full attention.

PLEASE NOTE: I am still running at the edge of my ability to pull this all off <smile>
so please don't think I haven't paid attention to your comments because
I haven't specifically responded with a written message.

(3) That said . . . it has been my practice (although I've been running
out of wakeful moments to do it) . . . to attempt to give some direct
responses in the POSTCARDS from FORENSIC POETRY.
Blame my semi-exhaustion for the sillyness that has now
invaded that space . . . although most of the "sillyness" has
some actual purpose . . . somehow. I swear. <g>

(4) I MUST NOW GO WRITE TOMORROW'S SONNETS . . .
Depending upon what time I get finished wrting them and
getting them html coded, I may have a few more responses
to make to the very significant comments that were
made today.

END OF THIS PROCESS DIARY ENTRY

AND AS TUESDAY TURNS TO WEDNESDAY IN SANTA MONICA ============================
Posted by: forensicpopouri - Apr 17, 2002, 3:16 AM 12 of 19

yada yada yada <smile>

Just got through watching the first episode of SEASON TWO (BtVS #13 or 2.1) . . .
"When She Was Bad"

Like "Prophecy Girl," also written by Joss. As usual, I've taken notes on a
legal size legal pad <smile> . . . I waste so much paper scribbling
GREAT BIG NOTES . . . and drawing arrows . . . and circling things in
colored markers. <smile>

I may even read the Joss's script before I sonnet . . .

BUT before I do . . . I'm going to use my currently unbraindead state to
read everything "the conspirators" have written today.

One thing I'll definitely mention somewhere . . . is the REASON <smile>
that I thought Supernatural lawyer was a guy . . . and believe me
it's not a sexist assumption.

Law school must makes everybody speak with high testosterone shadings. <smile>

Enough for now.

I go to drink in your thoughts.

LATER.

re: Rules/Art (another one of my rambling!)
Posted by: Supernatural lawyer - Apr 16, 2002, 8:29 PM 13 of 19

I have to agree with FP that rules in art are more often that not a blessing. Of course, this has been true in poetry for centuries, but also in theatre (the "3 unities" rule in traditional tragedies or the rules of the Comedia Del' Arte) and visual arts in general (each school had its rules, even in the increasingly anti-conformist 20th Century; didn't Breton exclude Dali from the surrealist group for not conforming with their manifesto?).
As FP said, conforming to strict rules of form may actually reveal deeper truths. It's like the words are forced to take a life of their own. Don't misunderstand me, art should be free, i.e. free to have rules or not. Reading Rimbault (the rebel!) is to me as moving as reading more traditional poets. But the goal is the same: finding the Truth, a romantic absolute (God?), giving an interpretation of human reality.
I just wanted to give my insight into the earlier debate about IP and rules in art. Hope it makes sense. That's really just my opinion though. I guess rules also make me comfortable and safe! But that's another issue!!!

Look forward to chatting with my co-conspirators soon. Last note: glow, prunehilda: I was reading your exchange on the Terrace. I really enjoyed it. Studied Plato a long time ago (another life-time?); I was always fascinated with his obsession for beauty (have you read the "Banquet?" I recommend it). prunehilda, thank you for reminding me of that.

SLEEP? <smile> Sleep is for babies! <g>
Posted by: forensicpopouri - Apr 16, 2002, 4:52 PM 14 of 19

Thanks SL . . . Very much appreciate your warm concern.

Fortunately as the days progress, the administrative
aspects of TEA TIME get a bit easier.

NOTE: Although it may seem insane <smile> to
keep Tea Time going 7 days a week . . . it is a
necessary part of the process for project evolution
under the constraints of the Bronze.

P.S. When I first "surveyed" the Bronze . . .it seemed
like a very bad design. BUT NOW, I find that it's
simplicity (except for a lack "tid linking") is far
superior to some more "fancy" boards I've seen.

Oh well . . . off to do a bit more Tea Time design.

Again, my thanks.

LATER

I was beginning to get a little worried
Posted by: prunehilda - Apr 16, 2002, 4:49 PM 15 of 19

about you today FP. I thought all that pizza together with very little sleep was a good recipe for a heart attack. If you like SNL, glow and I can just meet on the terrace for a few days. It's worth consideration.

SNL The first clue in todays sonnets is the title "Do I Have To?" Obviously we do!

THE BEAUTY OF THE RULES
Posted by: forensicpopouri - Apr 16, 2002, 4:45 PM 16 of 19

I have referred to the 4-sonnet sequence
"WHY I POST IN SHAKESPEAREAN SONNETS" (see the FAQ/Index) . . .

. . . what I will add to that complete "case" for
the value of writing rhetorical verse
conforming to the rules of Shakespearean sonnets . . .

. . . is that in following the rules
I wrote the 8 sonnets today . . . with really
no idea what I would discover when I wrote them.
The sonnet form brought forth my voice.

The rules are not a prison. They are a blessing.

FP, you are very welcome.... but MANY THANKS TO YOU first.
Posted by: Supernatural lawyer - Apr 16, 2002, 4:38 PM 17 of 19

You are doing an amazing job and know how to keep us on our toes (the position can be quite uncomfortable... but I'm practicing!).
I look forward to Tea Time every day... even if I never get the mysterious path through the Portal (if there is one). Also enjoy my conversations with glow, prunehilda and all. So many smart people around here... I feel lost!!
FP: don't forget to get some sleep! You are no good to us if you pass out during tea time! No, seriously, take care of yourself. I'm sure none of us will mind a couple of days without tea time, if needed for you to recuperate (and for us fellow conspirators to have a special meeting!).

NOTE TO ALL: Again, I VERY much appreciate your participation in this creative project
Posted by: forensicpopouri - Apr 16, 2002, 4:29 PM 18 of 19

The design of TEA TIME and evolution of the daily
procedures would not be possible without your participation.

NOTE: I'm not arrogant. <smile> I'm tired.
But my heart, soul, and complete attention
is on this creative project . . . which is nothing
without you. A-men.

OF COURSE.... (to fellow conspirators and FP)
Posted by: Supernatural lawyer - Apr 16, 2002, 4:22 PM 19 of 19

an on-line translation engine... I feel silly now! I should have used my one and only gift: my research skills... got lazy here and I paid for it!! :)

Fellow conspirators, I will be off and on today, but I look forward to your (our) discussions. I read yesterday's Corkboard. Are we getting further from our goal by over-analyzing the clues? I am just as confused as you are. I still think the key is in trying to write a decent sonnet in IP. prunehilda, I get your point on not being willing to follow the rules! I am a little more conformist than you, I guess... (look at my job!). But I am still unable to write in IP! I truly enjoy your points. They give me a whole new perspective on things. (We're like the A-team... each of us having different skills and personalities! Scary!)

I read today's SOTD. It is very beautiful. I'll definitely have to read it again (and again) to get everything out of it (should I use your Fish chip, FP? hee, hee).

Fellow "victims:" have you noticed any clues in today's sonnet? Just want to point out the verse: "A prophecy is a law of a different form." Just made me think of yesterday's reference to the law... Maybe another goose chase? (or a personal obsession!).

As for the "shimmering wall," I still think it's a (silver) screen of some kind (computer, TV, movie, ???). Of course, as usual that does not make us any closer to the goal (whatever the goal is!).