Tea Time TERRACE . . . VERSE FREE chat area for Tea Time in L.A. (7-8PM Bronze)

Outside the Tea Time Portal Lounge . . . is a VERSE FREE area (7-8PM Bronze Time)
Posted by: ThePowersThatTea - Apr 16, 2002, 6:57 PM

TIPREF_23TR

THIS SPACE IS (STILL) INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK <smile>

The Pacific Ocean's right there . . . you make up the rest.

Oh yeah, FYI, the bloody Tea Time #23 BtVS Episode Of The Day is
#12- PROPHECY GIRL . . . And if anybody bloody cares, the "poet,"
who's too sodding busy in the TIP Lounge to come out here, wrote
some sodding Shakesperean sonnets about #12 at tid=71591

Plenty bloody "unblank" if you ask me, so I'll go ahead and remind
everyone that there is FREE BEER for now . . . but if any
of you get wasted and go roller skating on the beach front bike path
and see Marsters sunbathing or anything like that . . . and come
to a quick stop to google him . . . you can rest assured somebody
will ride their sodding bike right over your pathetic drunken bones.

Got to go
Posted by: prunehilda - Apr 16, 2002, 7:54 PM 1 of 11

This has been a really messed up TT. Sorry.

Thanks prunehilda
Posted by: glow - Apr 16, 2002, 7:53 PM 2 of 11

Very interesting quote. Another piece of literature I have not read. *sigh* I really must work on that. I have to go eat dinner now, but I'll be back later. Work your magic on deciphering any clues from today's tea time.

Later,

Glow
Posted by: prunehilda - Apr 16, 2002, 7:47 PM 3 of 11

I just checked out your "argument".Great!! I was reading something written by Plato in Apology this morning.

"(T)o let no day pass without discussing goodness and all the other subjects about which you hear me talking and examining both myself and others is really the very best thing that a man can do, and that life without this sort of examination is not worth living."

Good for you prunehilda!
Posted by: glow - Apr 16, 2002, 7:45 PM 4 of 11

FP recommended I read, "The Sounds of Poetry," by Robert Pinsky, specifically page 13. I bought it and it was quite helpful, but I'll check out Versification in Msn Encarta. Thanks!

Sorry again I got called away for a few minutes.
Posted by: prunehilda - Apr 16, 2002, 7:40 PM 5 of 11

Try looking under Versification in Msn Encarta. It outlines some of the patterns of emphasis. Under sonnets there is some explanation also.

I'm working on a 4 sonnet sequence now.

Hi friends
Posted by: Supernatural lawyer - Apr 16, 2002, 7:36 PM 6 of 11

I loved the "Prophecy Girl" sonnet as well. Very insightful.

prunehilda
Posted by: glow - Apr 16, 2002, 7:35 PM 7 of 11

It's not the size of the words I have a problem with, it's the stress. I teach ESL for a living and teach word stress to the students. Also, I have taken a few linguistic courses that focussed on word stress, sentence stress and intonation in regular speech patterns. In poetry the word stress is different than that found in regular speech problems. That is my problem because in IP there is stress on function words e.g. 'is' and unstressed syllables, e.g. grammatical suffixes, such as 'es' endings as in punchES.

Yes , they were pretty good.
Posted by: prunehilda - Apr 16, 2002, 7:24 PM 8 of 11

Iknow what you mean about IP. Just sticking to small words at first might work.

Hi prunehilda
Posted by: glow - Apr 16, 2002, 7:21 PM 9 of 11

I decided to join in on tea time, but no iambic pentameter for me, just good old fashioned haikus. :o)

I also loved FP's sonnets today. They were absolutely marvelous!

Hi Glow
Posted by: prunehilda - Apr 16, 2002, 7:12 PM 10 of 11

sorry I'm late ....Usually have to go around twice to just get in here.

The Terrace is so empty tonight
Posted by: glow - Apr 16, 2002, 7:09 PM 11 of 11

I guess the good thing is that all of this beer is for me. LOL.