CORKBOARD for Tues. TEA TIME in L.A. (#39) REMINDER: 7-8PM Bronze Time

CORKBOARD for Tues. Tea Time in L.A.(#39) REMINDER 7-8PM Bronze Time / 12-1AM London
Posted by: forensicpopouri - May 07, 2002, 4:05 PM

= = = TUESDAY (5/7) TEA TIME #39 INFO & LINKS = = =

EOTD BtVS Episodes Of The Day: #27 (2.15) - "Phases"

SOTD Sonnet Of The Day: GUYS!
NOT YET POSTED
Rhetorical verse in Shakespeare's form. (Will be posted by 5:00 PM Bronze)

NOTE: 108/154

* MOST RECENT TEA TIME THREAD: tid=106040

POSTCARDS FROM FORENSICPOPOURI (if any) will appear as 1st resp. below

END OF CORKBOARD #39 =======================================================
Posted by: forensicpopouri - May 08, 2002, 4:12 PM 1 of 14

CORKBOARD #40 (for Wednesday 5/8/02) is up at tid=115315

To ease frustrations today (mine)
Posted by: VretilRaduriel - May 08, 2002, 4:02 PM 2 of 14

I actually posted in the more rowdy atmosphere of the Bronze at large. Sonnets of course -- a sort of ad for tea time. <smile>

prunehilda, VR
Posted by: Supernatural lawyer - May 08, 2002, 12:54 PM 3 of 14

I don't know what else I can add to both of your insightful posts. Just this: there is this myth going around on that us "independent modern women" hate or despise men in some way ("Sex & the City"-syndrom, much?). I am personally surrounded with sweet, reliable, responsible and smart males. And even if it's not PC to admit it, I often go to them for support and advice. My girlfriends are a different kind sanctuary, more familiar. But I guess I need the diversity. Similarly (and to stay slightly on-topic <smile>) being challenged by a man is so much more interesting, less predictable because, well, our "brains" do work differently. Learn, learn, learn... Did I make my point yet? <smile>

Warning to all: I am having a BAD day, not made any easier by yesterday's episode (prunehilda, I swear I won't talk anymore about it!). I don't even know if I'll make Tea Time today. (note to self: research the penalties for murdering and/or torturing managing partner and make usual cost/benefit analysis). <no smile>

Currently, I'm trapped
Posted by: VretilRaduriel - May 08, 2002, 11:30 AM 4 of 14

In one of the lower circles of hell -- not quite the lake of ice, but close enough. Paying penance, no doubt, for various vices in my life by being forced to read huge quantities of drivel, flawed logic, and general bulls..t that's been presented to me in hopes I'll think it smells like roses. Can you tell I'm in a foul mood? Regardless, I agree prunehilda -- I don't think all men suck -- and some are quite nice. And while Marti N. may be determined to shape the reality of some characters of the show -- have you noticed how bronzers aren't quite willing to buy it? I'm fascinated. The sideshow is captivating. (Course, I have no time to 'watch' today, except for furtive little peeks. On a brighter note, I stumbled across a quote last night that set me smiling, much to the confusion of my company. Talk about prophetic -- Forensic, I think Wallace Stevens has you beat:
The palm at the end of the mind,
Beyond the last thought, rises
In the bronze decor...
*poof*

Oh God
Posted by: prunehilda - May 08, 2002, 11:09 AM 5 of 14

Another thought just catapulted across my brain and landed with a huge messy sploch on the other side.

What if Maya has been right all along? Bloody, soddin he**!

Take heart Forensic.
Posted by: prunehilda - May 08, 2002, 10:24 AM 6 of 14

Not all men suck!

I happen to like men. Now, I know that misanthropy is currently in vogue and I worry about the coming backlash but I find that if I shut up long enough I can learn alot from men. Their(mens) experience is different than ours(womens) but it is still valid.

I think you were right when you said Marti hates men.

glancing back at yesterday's sonnets before beginning today's
Posted by: forensicpopouri - May 08, 2002, 4:14 AM 7 of 14

The original title (before I chopped it down while typing it in) was:

GUYS SUCK BIG TIME

POOF

a few lines from an essay someone sent me recently, but I haven't had time to read . . .
Posted by: forensicpopouri - May 08, 2002, 3:58 AM 8 of 14

. . .
While current scholarship focuses on [Emily] Dickinson's Deridian silence,

her choice of writing over the logocentrism of speech, I am

going to argue that Dickinson also valued the presence of voice in text,

actively exploring the relative powers of oral and written

discourse. Indeed, I believe that conflating the intimate qualities of speech

and the distance and silence of writing was central to Dickinson's

literary project,
a project that is realized in her quentessentially

dialogic voice.

The rhetorical intent I believe Dickinson's textual voice achieves

-- engaing the reader in dialogue -- permeates Dickinson's poems as much as

her letters. The poems and the letters share stylistic similarities, and

Dickinson frequently mailed poems . . . as letters.

. . . I will discuss how the oral and textual traits of her letters combine to

create a dialogic voice -- at once enigmatic, perpetual flux, and rooted

in the person, the body, the concrete moment in time.

Because of these combined discourse qualities, I have found it useful in this

section to compare Dickinson's voice with our contemporary phenomenon

of electronic mail: speech-like in its immediacy, informality, and

answerability, YET riddled with the open, ephemeral qualities of text.

SOURCE: ERIKA SCHEURER, "Near, but remote: Emily Dickinson's Epistolary Voice."

AND NOW IT IS WEDNESDAY IN SANTA MONICA ======================================
Posted by: forensicpopouri - May 08, 2002, 3:29 AM 9 of 14

But last night on television we heard on <I>BUFFY</I> . . .
"Men suck." . . . AND . . . " Lies flying around like little monkeys" AND Buffy asks: "What have you got for me that doesn't rhyme."

AND we saw . . . for the very first time . . . that when vampires turn to dust . . .
they sort-of explode . . . because if they didn't, then Buffy wouldn't have
been hurt enough for Spike to almost rape her . . . so that Buffy could cry
and whimper so pitifully for a moment or two before kicking Spike so easily
across the room . . .

AND we see at the end of the episode why if slayer foes ever just picked
up a gun (oh yeah, like Darla and her two pistols . . . and Spike
with a bloody shotgun) . . . that all that kickboxing and pointy stick poking
wouldn't leave the kicker-poker walking around very long.

WHILE OVER IN SMALLVILE . . .
the only well-cast & well-written character LEX LUTHER says:
"Some people are meant to be alone."

AND a sign reads: "SONNET SATURDAYS. FREE LINE WITH EVERY PURCHASE."

THEN FROM MY 3,000 BOOKS . . . TWO QUOTES COME TO MIND:

1. The ORATOR creates the world in which he acts.

2. Another day. Another reality.

Ah . . . another day.

TEA LEAF COUNTS (following Tuesday Tea Time adjustments)
Posted by: forensicpopouri - May 07, 2002, 8:48 PM 10 of 14

Supernatural lawyer: 7

glow: 3

VR: 3

yelnif: 1

prunehilda: 1

(SEE "DELIBERATION" NOTES BELOW)

One Tea Leaf on Tuesday 5/7 . . . to the first person who mentions . . .
Posted by: forensicpopouri - May 07, 2002, 5:39 PM 11 of 14

. . . the title of the movie that FP saw
(in connection with the "9TL Prize" mentioned below)
during today's Tea Time.

TEA LEAF COUNTS
Posted by: forensicpopouri - May 07, 2002, 5:32 PM 12 of 14

Supernatural lawyer: 6 (investigation for excessive greed underway) <g>

glow: 3 (TLs for taking vacation for TT not under deliberation)<g>

VR: 3 (TLs for verse under deliberation) (fp connection investigation cont.)

yelnif: 1 (TLs for delightful songs under deliberation)

prunehilda: 1 (TLs for Kevlar, uniambic verse, & bravery . . . under deliberation)

LINK TO TODAY'S SONNETS (#105-108) "GUYS!" tid =107497
Posted by: forensicpopouri - May 07, 2002, 5:02 PM 13 of 14

PROSE POSTCARDS FROM FORENSIC POETRY
Posted by: forensicpopouri - May 07, 2002, 4:07 PM 14 of 14

* Running a little late today. Sonnets are being coded into html at this time
and will probably be up by 4:30 PM (but to be safe, I'll say 5:00). Well worth
the wait. <g>

* BIG DEAL OF THE DAY <g> . . . Remember fp's strange dream
that only made sense after he went to the movies and saw what he dreamed.
(Yeah, yeah, I'm talking in third person. Get over it. <g>) . . .

. . . FOR 9 TEA LEAVES . . . VERSIFY A SYNOPSIS
(yes, highly condensed) of the movie that fp saw
. . . that
seems to imply the dream was prophetic . . . in a pointless and stupid way . . .
except that it implies that dreams can be prophetic.

WHO GETS THE 9 TEA LEAVES? Post your movie synopsis during Tea Time
today through Thursday. ON FRIDAY . . . there will be a vote
taken (during Tea Time) on who should get the 9 Tea Leaves. Hail democracy.

* TO SL . . . Which rules are you talking about? April rules, or May rules? <ewg>