CORKBOARD for Thurs. TEA TIME in L.A. (#41) REMINDER: 7-8PM Bronze Time

CORKBOARD for Thurs. Tea Time in L.A.(#41) REMINDER 7-8PM Bronze Time / 12-1AM London
Posted by: forensicpopouri - May 09, 2002, 4:26 PM

= = = THURSDAY (5/9) TEA TIME #41 INFO & LINKS = = =

NOTE: No new episode or sonnets today
Mapping out the "final" Tea Time hours (and episodes to be covered)
in the remaining time . . . left this day as a gap day. A gap
between past and future. The commercial break before Act 4 of Buffy.

"FINAL 10" TEA TIME EPISODE SCHEDULE WILL BE POSTED BELOW

NOTE: 112/154

* MOST RECENT TEA TIME THREAD: tid=115315

POSTCARDS FROM FORENSICPOPOURI (if any) will appear as 1st resp. below

END OF CORKBOARD #41 =======================================================
Posted by: forensicpopouri - May 10, 2002, 4:18 PM 1 of 33

CORKBOARD #42 (for Friday 5/10/02) is up at tid=123103

Collage, Part two
Posted by: VretilRaduriel - May 10, 2002, 1:12 PM 2 of 33

"Perhaps the strangest chapter in the history of Shakespearean acting is the inexplicable obsession which has driven some women to assume men's roles, an obsession not to be construed as a kind of avant-garde for the women's liberation movement...for it has nothing to do with women's rights. It may be that because female roles had in Shakespeare's day been enacted by males this inversion was conceived, but I am of the opinion that the common notion that Hamlet, the hero of the most popular plays, is a kind of milk-sop too sensitive to act...encouraged the dears to think of him, quite incorrectly, as a sister under the skin."

Later, he levels charges of <gasp!> lesbianism at women and suggests this must be why they do it. <sarcasm warning!> Couldn't possibly be because the best, most challenging parts are male. Oh no! Bernhardt once said it's not so much the male "parts" she wanted in the plays, rather it was the male "brains," but I guess Grebanier missed that line.

A "collage" of comments
Posted by: VretilRaduriel - May 10, 2002, 1:08 PM 3 of 33

To elaborate on prunehilda's funny scenario of Buffy, Allie, and Carrie yesterday, consider this too: The moment that perfect man determined to act on his thoughts of escape and his hand closed round the door knob, three women would have swung round, fixed him with glares, and demanded "JUST WHERE DO YOU THINK YOU'RE GOING?!" Keep this in mind FP!

To comment on high maintenance "girlfriends" without the perks: While I won't speak for all the ladies present, I would submit that FP might be in a worse situation than even he realizes -- surrounded by high maintenace women who THINK they're low maintenance -- which is a dire spot to be in indeed.

And last, FP, have you ever read Grebanier?

I provide background and a sample for perusal and I'll let the "democracy" decide whether I should read more of this man or not. Your Vote Counts!

In a work entitled "Then Came Each Actor" he provides a history of Shakespeare on stage via analysis of actors. Mostly actors. At work's end, he turns to what he terms a "vagary" -- women who have dared, like Buffy, to assume "roles" traditionally considered masculine. Slight difference, I know, but Grebanier's ire seems inspired by the idea of women going beyond that which he deems them capable of, so there is a link.

Sarah Bernhardt -- famous for her portrayal of Hamlet -- lauded for her skill, interpretation, and depth of analysis -- comes in for the heaviest attack. Her offense? She refused to play Hamlet as a wilting, indecisive figure and rather portrayed him as a brilliant young man whose thirst for vengeance destroys him. That this is why Grebanier claims to dislike her (flawed interpretation in his opinion), makes the opening comments to his chapter "Princesses of Denmark and Other Vagaries" all the more suspect.

The quote follows in "Collage" part two

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Posted by: forensicpopouri - May 10, 2002, 6:44 AM 4 of 33

The "++++" line above marks the end of this "collage" of late night posts.

Whatever you think of the word postmodern . . . it has relevance for

me . . . and its relevance for you (as you interpret my posts) is that

I do think in terms of a collage of fragments . . . rather than a linear

stream of writing.

I.E. Stand back from the painting for viewing. <smile>

Off to bed (finally) <smile> There are, after all, 42 more sonnet-like things
to write as "Tea Time" comes to its "end." AND "the last act" of the
PORTAL "story" requires attention (although strange magic is at work
there <smile>)
. IN A DIFFERENT PROJECT, all the sonnets would
have been about the marvelous things the partipants had said . . .
connecting those beautiful bits into story in sonnetized form. <smile>
There'll be less of my CORKBOARD verbosity . . . in this final stretch . . .
. . . starting right now. <g>

HIGHLIGHTING . . . the strange (and I mean strange) prophetic ability of Mister Verschip
Posted by: forensicpopouri - May 10, 2002, 6:29 AM 5 of 33

NOTE: On Wednesday, Mister Verschip seemed to sense the coming of
the (F*ck) "incursion" with his comment about Democracy is ugly
just before it happened.

BUT . . . in a way more strange (because it is still without explanation)
is the post in which Mister_Verschip's name disappeared
from the Posted by line. Here is the sequence of posts (in reverse
order like we're used to in the threads:

SEQUENCE OF POSTS FROM TEA TIME #41 ----------------------------------------------

Mister Verschip says . . . (BV to himself . . .)
Posted by: - May 09, 2002, 7:12 PM 39 of 42

Ah . . . I smell "the void" has passed this way.

But stranger smelling "Tea." What is this blend?

....
Posted by: yelnif - May 09, 2002, 7:10 PM 40 of 42
Greetings ev'ryone.
How are we all? (Desp'rately
tries to fill poem)

Oh, one more thing... I
may be infrequent in my posts...
Too many threads tonight.

Mister Verschip says (BV wandering in off the TERRACE with a strange look on his face)
Posted by: Mister_Verschip - May 09, 2002, 7:07 PM 41 of 42

The TERRACE becomes stranger ev'ry day.

END OF QUOTED SEQUENCE -------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hmmmm . . . did my "tech team" strip the name out of the
"Posted by" line? Or has the PORTAL become truly enchanted. <smile>

CORRECTION: " I may HAVE responded flippantly . . . or not at all"
Posted by: forensicpopouri - May 10, 2002, 6:12 AM 6 of 33

FEEDBACK TO NEXT_LEFT: Please give us a PREVIEW post feature.

TO YOU
Posted by: forensicpopouri - May 10, 2002, 6:08 AM 7 of 33

Yes, you.

I have read every word you've spoken today . . . with care.

I may not have responded flippantly . . . or (apparently) not at all . . .

. . . but I have held each phrase you have shared in the Tea Time spaces

in my mind . . . and yes, in my heart (because I cannot separate them).

. . . If I ever hurt your feelings with my playfulness . . . or cruelty <g>

NEVER FORGET that I am profoundly thankful for YOUR attention

. . . no matter that it sometimes may feel like I have several

high-maintenance girl friends . . . without all the "happiness" <ewg>

NOTE: Please finish this note with precisely the words you would
like to hear from me. Trust me . . . they are in me somewhere . . .
They're just too tired to come out. <smile>

DESIGN REFLECTION
Posted by: forensicpopouri - May 10, 2002, 5:55 AM 8 of 33

It is a Tea TIme design flaw . . .

. . . that mayaroza did not come to tea.

The "magical incantations" I used were too strong.
Too FEW "incursions" from the Bronze . . .

"Where's Buffy?"

"What the F*ck are you dumbasses talking about"

Good questions. <smile>

REACTION to VR's defense of SL's ungracious personal attack on "my guest" Debray
Posted by: forensicpopouri - May 10, 2002, 5:34 AM 9 of 33

Even angel's fall . . . <g>

. . . but then they flap their wings and go right back up again.

BUT WAIT! No. I have decided that these offenses shall . . . HENCEFORTH
and FOREVER MORE . . . color everything written by SL & VR. Why should
I read what they have to say ever, ever again. NO MORE! They are on
the list. You know . . . THAT LIST . . . the list of people whose's
writing I will never read again. I do not care if God himself comes to
me in a dream and says "Hey fp . . . you know those two women
who you put on the list of people you will never read again? Well,
I have personally changed their hearts and they're so much
smarter than they were before I blessed them. I really think you
should give them another chance."

This is so much fun . . . <ewg> but I must move on.

RESPONSE to SL re her question about Lani Guinier and "fame"
Posted by: forensicpopouri - May 10, 2002, 5:16 AM 10 of 33

SL asked: What did fame bring Lani Guinier that was better or more valuable than a Clinton appointment? Under the circumstances, she may have preferred not being famous after all (or maybe not "that kind" of famous, i.e. made into a caricature of hersel f.... Some members of the media did over-simplify her ideas and quote her out of context, in their own usual "un-democratic" way). I mean, now, she's can be a guest on Politically Incorrect; is that progress?

FP's RESPONSE:
FAME is about story.

STORY A:
     Clinton appoints X.
         X 's appointment is unopposed.
              X serves.
                   X goes home.

You want to hear that story? Care who X is? etc. etc.

STORY B:
     Clinton appoints X.
        FORCES OF EVIL align themselves to keep X from getting appointment.
           Behind the scenes a weak president begs X to decline.
               X accepts libelous misreprentation of who she is to help pres.
                    Truth about VIRTUE of X slowly becomes clear.
                         X gets offers for BOOK DEALS.
                               X gets offers to speak everywhere.
                                   X becomes a PUBLIC FIGURE for JUSTICE.

STORY B is simply a BETTER story.

Story B . . . gives Guinier . . . cultural power (significance)
which she would not have without it.

Regarding "Politically Incorrect" . . . I quit watching it after I went
to a taping . . . and the executive producer came out and
instructed the audience that we were to laugh and
cheer all we wanted . . . but no one was to hiss or boo.

Hitting submit (could go on and on) <smile>

RESPONSE to prunehilda RE her question about HOW DO I FIND a BOOK amidst all my books
Posted by: forensicpopouri - May 10, 2002, 4:56 AM 11 of 33

Although there are some "miscellaneous" stretches of my bookshelves,t
there are clear "sections" -- philososophy . . . sociology . . .
literary criticism . . . theology . . . theater/poetry
psychology . . . . rhetoric . . . tv/film . . .
education . . . fiction . . . law . . .
democracy . . . technology . . .

What I was doing is picturing "my library" in my mind . . .
which is what I do when I need to go grab a book that
comes to mind.

Usually I know the section immediately (although some
books often seem to have gone wandering around
visting other books in other sections. <smile>

Could have said that more concisely <smile> but it's late.

AND NOW IT'S FRIDAY IN SANTA MONICA ======================================================
Posted by: forensicpopouri - May 10, 2002, 3:06 AM 12 of 33

This time I'll draw the line . . . then go back and read everything since the last
one of these . . . and THEN comment. <smile>

LATER.

Sweet sweet VR
Posted by: Supernatural lawyer - May 09, 2002, 11:48 PM 13 of 33

Your words have touched me more than I can say. The (very) wordy person that I am, sometimes feel out of place in this computer age. But these days, if I write a lot (a lot), it's mostly work-related and not necessarily spiritually fulfilling. Before this experience I had not really stopped to re-think the things I had learned in my youth (philosophy, etc) or discussed teose subjects in a while.
I have also learned much much more than I expected. Learned to push my limits and trust my abilities in English (which I tend to doubt). Learned to be more concise (at least in verse!) and listen.
I also had a chance to chat with (or "meet," in a way) such inspiring people. Glow, Gewendoln, VR, Yelnif and of course FP, thank you. I don't know much about any of you, but it's been wonderful meeting you at tea time everyday.
I'll stop now because VR said it so much better than me! I hope this discussion will trigger a debate on the "after-Tea-Time."

And...Part Two...
Posted by: VretilRaduriel - May 09, 2002, 10:25 PM 14 of 33

And Yelnif, Glow, I haven't forgotten you -- I come to these threads each day with two words in mind -- teach me. And I learn from you. And That's part of the point, isn't it. To learn. When FP posts his sonnets there's a line that such things just might save the world. It's given tongue in cheek, and the general audience of the Bronze might not be open to something more serious, but some might look, and think, and realize there's serious intent embedded in these games. And, for me, that's part of the point as well. Words ARE two things -- cultural artifacts and power. Plain and simple. They communicate the reality of culture as you and others see it. Those words that seem to best describe our reality, or come closest to our hopes, desires, fears and failures, those words stay while others are lost. So, you use words at your own hope and your own peril -- something too many people have forgotten I think. This project offers people an opportunity to remember and relearn something they knew as children when they looked at pages and were convinced the markings held magical power and intent. And I'll stop for now (thank God they say!) & perhaps post more (or not) tomorrow because even though I thought before I wrote, I'd like to think more. Thanks though for reading <smile>

Part One of a Rather Long Post
Posted by: VretilRaduriel - May 09, 2002, 9:37 PM 15 of 33

I think a transition is in order, yes -- if only to give FP time for his multiple other projects in hypertext. (FP: You are an amazingly productive man when it comes to all this. What kind of schedule are you on in the world existing outside this ether -- Tuesday / Thursday?) And I suspect that, while tea-time is glorious, we may not need a daily diet of verse. The reason is simple, implied in the posts below, and not truly gender based. We're learning, all of us, to think before we post. We may slip from time to time, but parameters of design for this project DO have us playing with words and watching them too. The conversations lead us in directions we might not often travel and with people we might not find as easily in our respective locations. Odds of this group coming together may seem long, but think what wonderful access cyberspace provides. We're chatting a whole range of cultural topics and referencing even more, and yes SL, learning though dialogue with a bit of lecture thrown in. prunehilda's posts on Nash, FP's posts on rhetoric and orators, Your posts on gender and thoughts on learning, humanity, and pop culture politics... and all from people who live vastly different lives I'd wager.

VR
Posted by: Supernatural lawyer - May 09, 2002, 8:32 PM 16 of 33

I just read your last post. Yes, it was indeed an interesting Tea Time today (although officially a "gap day" <smile>).
I wrote a word in the C thread about my feeling re: the nearing end of TT. Let me just say that I am with you on this one (and I am dreading going back to the Bronze outside--if I ever do--. It's a jungle now!).
On the other hand, I am not sure FP will handle another 3 months wihout sleep <smile>. The poor man does need a life after all (although the "ladies"' attention is a nice perk <g>). But maybe, rather than a daily thread, a weekly or bi-weekly "reunion?" About literature and poetry and philosophy.... Nothing as exciting and mysterious as Tea Time but it could be a transition to something else? I'm just throwing ideas. Maybe FP already has an "after-tea" project. <smile>

To VR about the significance of names you mentionned in TT today.
Posted by: Supernatural lawyer - May 09, 2002, 8:23 PM 17 of 33

My real name means something in greek that is so much "bigger" than me but at the same time "so me," in a strange way (a source of many jokes at home!). As for my Bronze name, there is a funny story about that: I chose it from an ad for a comic book called "Supernatural Law" (or "Wolff and Byrd the Councelors of the Macabre"). I had not even read the comic book. I just liked the design and "feel" of the promotional poster (which is now hanging in my living room). Then I learned that that same comic book was being made into a movie and that Marti Noxon had done one of the re-writes. Total coincidence. It fueled my interest, I bought the comic and started reading it. It's actually very Buffyesque and quite entertaining.

Bottom line: names do carry special significance, some way or another (often "mysterious ways" <smile>). They say something about ourselves or the person we "want to grow up to be" (to cite the movie "Spiderman").

As for "life strange little coincidences," they have always fascinated me. Little things have sometimes more significance than big events; we just have to be ready and willing to notice them. Paul Auster writes about that (and so many other things) in a much more insightful, talented way that I could ever do. I recommend the "Red Notebook" on the subject.

(how did I end up talking about actual ... books? Another mystery. <smile>)

Hello All
Posted by: VretilRaduriel - May 09, 2002, 8:09 PM 18 of 33

Sorry I entered at tea's end posting fast and furious. Blowing off steam -- consider those posts simply the product of a functiong release valve. And while I'm at it -- Good Lord! The one day I'm virtuous and stay away except for one post, this fascinating conversation blossoms and grows and looks absolutely intriguing! I'm going to print all the posts and read them before I say a word about them. I will say a word about one other thing though -- how sad to think of this project ending so soon. After all, I've only recently become addicted. Isn't there some way we can take it to the next level? Keep Tea-time, with new design, evolving parameters? What?

"Innocent" question to you FP
Posted by: Supernatural lawyer - May 09, 2002, 6:41 PM 19 of 33

What did fame bring Lani Guinier that was better or more valuable than a Clinton appointment? Under the circumstances, she may have preferred not being famous after all (or maybe not "that kind" of famous, i.e. made into a caricature of herself.... Some members of the media did over-simplify her ideas and quote her out of context, in their own usual "un-democratic" way). I mean, now, she's can be a guest on Politically Incorrect; is that progress?

No hidden agenda here, FP. Just a thought. (and a smile) <smile>

TO VR regarding the way I FORMATTED the "TRANSMITTING CULTURE" quote . . .
Posted by: forensicpopouri - May 09, 2002, 6:21 PM 20 of 33

Yep . . . it's amazing what you can make printed/screened text say
just by the way you format it. <serious smile>

CORRECTION: something she WROTE
Posted by: forensicpopouri - May 09, 2002, 6:17 PM 21 of 33

SO, dear friends, be careful what you write , or . . .

. . . you might get famous. <smile>

CORRECTION . . . regarding Lani Guinier . . . it wasn't a "scandal" that caused her "retreat"
Posted by: forensicpopouri - May 09, 2002, 6:15 PM 22 of 33

It was things she'd said . . .

. . . about democracy (as in, how to improve it)

that caused her (for the sake of the Clinton administration)
to back down without a fight.

Speech can be costly. (Of course, without this big "blow up"
she wouldn't have gotten as famous as she is now).

SMILING AT SL . . . but turning away quickly before . . . <g>

Dear FP
Posted by: Supernatural lawyer - May 09, 2002, 6:03 PM 23 of 33

Be careful with posting such sonnets... I may be the one "falling in love." <smile>

Disclaimer
Posted by: Supernatural lawyer - May 09, 2002, 5:58 PM 24 of 33

I just re-read my posts and--again--I did not sound quite as humble and respectful as I wanted. (so much for female "prepardness"!) Interruptions disturbed my flow of thoughts and my post could have used some nuancing. So here is my disclaimer: Despite what may come out of my posts, I enjoyed studying in the US and discovering new ways of learning. Interactions with my American fellow students taught me more than some of my "very smart-very respected" French professors. And even if the latter may kill me for saying this, I find both European teaching methods and Socratic method to be legitimate.

Rambling over. Thanks for listening.

Two old sonnets . . . from a previous 154 (self-commentary later, if any)
Posted by: forensicpopouri - May 09, 2002, 5:56 PM 25 of 33

Fearless Rhetoric [sonnet sequence: 1 of 2]
(a sonnetized commentary)

ABE LINCOLN’S FATHER SLAPPED HIM ‘CROSS THE FACE

for poking in his words amongst the men

who’d gathered to discuss in public space.

HIS FATHER SAW Abe’s speech as butting in.

And as a tear was trickling down his cheek

the lesson to “keep silent” etched his heart.

And if you must, be careful when you speak --

be sure it’s great, or you’ll be ripped apart.

IN CONTRAST, speech of rich-kid presidents

bears none of the constraints of peonage:

of those who rose alone, no documents

of family and money -- priviledge.

But smirks of power and a sloppy tongue

“come easy” if you start on the top rung.

“Infinite” "Infinite Justice" Jest
[sonnet sequence: 2 of 2]

THE LORD SAID, “DUBYA, SHOW ME ‘INFINITE.’”

Well, it took George a minute to respond:

he had been sleeping nude, sheet-wrapped his butt;

he took a sip of water, then he donned ...

... a presidential robe, and shook his head.

“WHAT WAS THAT, LORD, that you have asked of me?

But ask it quick, I must get back to bed --

my calendar’s booked through eternity.”

THE LORD SAID, “Fine. Just let me get My book.

If you have something infinite to do,

your heav’nly spot can be My breakfast nook.

You’ve got an earthly mansion. Don’t need two.

If you run short, I know someone who’ll sell

cheap chunks of ‘infinite.’ JUST GO TO HELL.”

# # #

yes . . . html error on the BIGGNESS there <g> . . . but it got your attention, right? <ewg>
Posted by: forensicpopouri - May 09, 2002, 5:46 PM 26 of 33

. . .

retorting to prunehilda (and trying to ignore SL so he won't fall in love <smile>)
Posted by: forensicpopouri - May 09, 2002, 5:44 PM 27 of 33

mischevious?

Just wait (a moment) 'till you see what I post next . . .

a combination of personal revelation (?) and rhetorical assault
on the rhetorical incompetence of the Bush administration's
half-cocked cowboy speak. (REMEMBER: operation "Infinite Justice"?)

i.e., two old sonnets . . . from a previous 154.
They shouldn't be posted here.

But . . . of course today is THE VOID . . . it does not exist.

None of these posts are here.

Part 2
Posted by: Supernatural lawyer - May 09, 2002, 5:36 PM 28 of 33

When I studied in US schools, and after the usual temporary cultural shock, I finally found my voice. I was able to participate in class, and get credit for "speaking" (not just for writing as in French schools) whether or not I had the correct answer, whether or not what I said was especially clever (and--amazing!--even if it was just to ask a question!) But, as the good European student I was, I would try to remain on topic and carefully listen to my fellow students. Or was that specifically a female feature of mine? I could not say! (I saw Japanese male students act the same as me in class. Let me then throw a crazy idea out there: maybe it's not so much a gender thing than a cultural thing?).

In any event, I often was amazed about how the American students (male and female) would enjoy digressing, speak for hours without any strutured thought-process, etc. How un-French of them <smile>.

However, what I can say is that I had many debates with male students who just would not "let it go" even if their argument did not make any sense <g> and even if they were taking the whole class "hostage" with their ramblings. I am the first one to enjoy a good debate, but--despite my stubborness--I tend to be more of a mediator and more often than not "agree to disagree" rather than try to be right (at least in class!). Is that a female feature?

Let me end with this (otherwise I'll be accused to be the one "rambling"!): I am always suspiscious of generalizations by gender, race, etc. In my profession, I see many types of personalities. There are aggresive lawyers, sneaky ones, fair ones, etc. no matter the gender. However, I will agree to some of the points on that quote: that females tend to want to be more prepared before "going into battle" whatever it is. (hence the "C"?)

Dear FP (Part 1 of my response to your quote)
Posted by: Supernatural lawyer - May 09, 2002, 5:35 PM 29 of 33

Thank you for this quote (you did not aim it at me, I hope <smile>).

Well, let me give you the perspective, not only from a female law student (which I was for years, in two countries), but also from the foreign student point of view I was in a US law school.

First, some background info about teaching methods in Europe: no Socratic teaching there, my friends. The old fashion "you listen to the almighty professor and only open your mouth when you have something adequately clever and extremely correct to say." You can imagine what it does to someone's self-esteem... and someone's intellectual defense mechanisms! In any event, I was never shy (at least in class) and pretty much--even in the sacred Sorbonne ampitheatres--opened my mouth often to say things of various quality and insightfulness. I was mocked more than once and learned to (indeed) prepare my responses before talking. But of course, as debate is not a form of teaching in French universities, the guys (according to your quote at least) were probably quite frustrated!

FP
Posted by: prunehilda - May 09, 2002, 5:08 PM 30 of 33

Well, aren't you in a particularly mischievious frame of mind.
No need to crucify yourself on my account. I'm a big girl now and can take a few lumps now and then.

A QUOTE FROM A BOOK . . . by Lani Guinier, Michelle Fine, and Jane Balin
Posted by: forensicpopouri - May 09, 2002, 5:02 PM 31 of 33

NOTE: Another one of my intentional encounters was with Lani Guinier
who is now a professor at Harvard Law School. You may remember her
as the woman who had to turn down a Clinton appointment because of
a (non-sexual) "scandal" . . .

WHILE I am neither a woman, nor a member of a minority, nor a lawyer . . .
but I share these passages with you . . . Why?

SOURCE: Becoming Gentlemen
Women, Law School, and Institutional Change

by Lani Guinier, Michelle FIne, and Jane Balin

(12) . . . [M]any women need friendliness cues more than men . . .

women and many people of color wait for a signal first that

it is "safe to approach."

(13) One commentator has described the stereotypical Socratic

approach at its worst as learning how to ask rude questions. . . .

In training studens to think of the process as asking and

answering questions as an opportunity to put someone on the spot . . .

Many men told us tthat this is in fact the way they see law school

participation, as an exchange of verbal retors. You win when you

silence your opponent.
You also win when you are the first to

raise your hands to ask questions without yet organizing their ideas.

They take up a lot of "air time" as everyone gets to hear them think aloud.

They learn the important skill of presenting ideas to an audience, and

because they are first, they help set the agenda.

BOOK QUOTE CONTINUES BELOW

QUOTE FROM "BECOMING GENTLEMEN" (PART 2)
Posted by: forensicpopouri - May 09, 2002, 5:01 PM 32 of 33

QUOTE CONTINUED

But others -- including many women -- are put off by the

gamesmanship -- and simply withdraw or seek to participate on

different terms.
(14) . . .

They wanted to participate in a way that build on or connected

to what someone else was saying.

In my own experience, women students like these are eager to learn

by listening first to what other students say. So as they listen,

they often edit their remarks before raising their hands.

Some spend so much time outlining what they want to say

that it's as if they're writing haiku poems.

END QUOTE

SCHEDULE FOR "FINAL 10" TEA TIME "EPISODES"
Posted by: forensicpopouri - May 09, 2002, 4:27 PM 33 of 33

Plan is to wrap up both Season 6 AND Season 2 of BtVS.

Season 2 closed on (arguably) "the highest moment of coherence"
for the series.

Season 6 . . . well, we won't get into that <smile>. . . but perhaps it will
have its own kind of coherence. We shall see.

NOTE: NO TEA TIME ON WEEKENDS

10 -Thurs 5/9 - GAP DAY . . . REFLECTION DAY . . . THE VOID . . .TODAY

09 - Fri 5/10 EOTD: BtVS #28 (2.16) "Bewitched, Bothered, and Bewildered"

08 - Mon 5/13 EOTD: BtVS #29 (2.17) "Passion"

07 - Tues 5/14 EOTD: BtVS #30 (2.18) "Killed By Death"

06 - Wed 5/15 EOTD: BtVS #120 (6.20) "Villians"

05 -Thurs 5/16 EOTD: BtVS #31 (2.19) "I Only Have Eyes For You"

04 - Fri 5/17 EOTD: BtVS #32 (2.20) "Go Fish"

03 - Mon 5/20 EOTD BtVS #33-34 (2.21-22) "Becoming" PART 1 & 2
NOTE: This wraps up Season 2 of BtVS

02 - Tues 5/21 - GAP DAY . . . REFLECTION DAY . . . THE VOID . . . BUFFY DAY

01 - Wed 5/22 - EOTD BtVS #121-2 (6.21-22) "Two To Go"/"The Grave"
NOTE: This wraps up Season 6 of BtVS