CORKBOARD for Thur. TEA TIME in L.A. (#46 of 50) REMINDER: 7-8PM Bronze Time

CORKBOARD for Thurs. Tea Time in L.A.(#46 of 50) REMINDER 7-8PM Bronze Time / 12-1AM London
Posted by: forensicpopouri - May 16, 2002, 4:03 PM

Tea Time in L.A.
CORKBOARD
  • democracy
  • conspiracy
  • a mystery

= = = THURSDAY (5/16) TEA TIME #46 of 50 INFO & LINKS = = =

EOTD BtVS Episode Of The Day - 31(2.19) - "I Only Have Eyes For You"

SOTD Sonnets Of The Day - tid=132137

#135-138 UNFORGIVENESS

REMINDER: Final (5/22/02) Episode of Tea Time In L.A.. . . will be episode 50.

REMINDER: TeaTimeSunday (see CORKBOARD 42 - tid=123103)
begins June 2 . . . 4-5PM Bronze Time. IF APOCALYSE, THEN CHECK TeaTimeSunday.com

after Tea Time. And, yes, do post comments, suggestions, insightful quotes . . .

* MOST RECENT TEA TIME (PORTAL) THREAD: tid=128959

* FAQ & INDEX (BELOW)

TEA TIME FAQ & INDEX: tid=67836

POSTCARDS FROM FORENSICPOPOURI (if any) will appear as 1st resp. BELOW

END OF CORKBOARD 46 =====================================================
Posted by: forensicpopouri - May 17, 2002, 4:06 PM 1 of 23

CORKBOARD 47 of 50 for FRIDAY 5/17 (& WEEKEND) is up at - tid=141375

(Slightly) EARLY LINK to FRIDAY'S SONNETS 139-142 - tid=141161
Posted by: forensicpopouri - May 17, 2002, 3:28 PM 2 of 23

TODAY'S SONNETS: UNPOETIC HEROES ARE ALL WET

NOTE: CORKBOARD 47 will be up on time . . . But since writing/coding/posting
sonnets took all morning, POSTCARDS from FORENSIC POETRY may need
an extra hour. (5:00 PM BRONZE)

VR
Posted by: Supernatural lawyer - May 17, 2002, 2:33 PM 3 of 23

Thank you for those remarks. I learned to love "American culture" through the vision my parents had of it from Hollywood movies (they grew up after the War). Then from sitcoms, film festivals, etc. I was immersed in that "culture" at an early age without even realizing it and the cultural shock was not that intense when I first started living here. These shows are a wonderful topic of conversation and have helped me connect with the "natives" <smile>. Most of the Americans I come in contact with expect me to talk about wine--which I don't know much about-- or philosophy--which I enjoy, but only in the comfort of my own home! They are often surprised to see me so comfortable discussing TV shows or movies (that, as a "good" French person I am supposed to despise! <smile> I guess I'm not such a "good" French person after all! But we all knew that!)
Now, your remarks interested me on another level. Part of my practice is French/American "cross-cultural" consulting. Next time I can't seem to find a common ground between a French and an American party, I'll try talking TV shows. French and US humors are very similar. I may not bring up "Buffy" <smile>, but I'll keep Seinfeld and Friends in the back of my mind.

SL, prunehilda, now you've got me thinking about TV and it brings to mind a story...
Posted by: VretilRaduriel - May 17, 2002, 10:10 AM 4 of 23

That relates to some of this cultural "stuff" we've been talking about. When we lived in Japan, ("Hmmm --who's this we?" you ask. "Can VR actually interact with humans face to face?") a very good Japanese friend of ours once asked for help on what seemed at first an odd matter. Now, this is a very smart lady who makes her living by easing interactions between Japanese and Western business executives. Her livelihood exists in a peculiar intersection where cultural differences must be translated as well as words. And she's quite good at this, though she sometimes finds it places her, like Spike, in a position that's not quite either here or there. Nonetheless, she was stumped by Western humor -- and humor is key in business. We Kiwis, Aussies, Brits, Canucks, and Americans had a whole store of cultural currency she just "didn't get." So she asked for help. We scratched our heads, tried explaining, tried telling jokes (explaining intonation and delivery failed utterly), everything we could think of. Nothing worked, and just when we were about to throw our hands up and say "Well, you either get it or you don't," someone thought of our bootleg tapes of Seinfeld. It worked like a charm. We'd get together and watch them with her -- and I think we laughed just as much at the scripted humor as at our own efforts to explain it. In exchange, she showed us the cultural humor embedded in Iron Chef, and we're totally addicted now and it's hysterical. The shows gave us whole new ways to communicate, and whole lot more fun than if we'd just been watching alone. And they did more to explain modern cultural differences in a visceral way than any book could have. And now, of course, I've got her addicted to Buffy, though she claims she prefers Dark Angel...

AND NOW IT'S FRIDAY!!! IN SANTA MONICA ======================================
Posted by: forensicpopouri - May 17, 2002, 3:05 AM 5 of 23

I sensed delightful posts below . . . but will wait until tomorrow to drink them in.

Again, bless you all. NOTE: I really attempt to "live" in the asthetic mode of
perception
. . . but energy reserves are low. More sleep.

I have a couple of "COLLAGE" ITEMS in mind I'd like to share . . . but need to
try to complete getting caught up on sleep. Maybe this weekend.

Will write sonnets tomorrow morning. Going to bed . . . just about now.

I would proofread this note now, but it wouldn't make any difference. <G></I>

dear prunehilda (THANK YOU FOR REMINDING ME OF THESE SCENES <S>)
Posted by: Supernatural lawyer - May 17, 2002, 3:05 AM 6 of 23

Don't get me wrong. TV makes me laugh A lot (I was just re-watching the Seinfeld episode where George "accidentaly" asks Susan to marry him and Elaine hired Newman to "get rid" of her neighbor's dog... It does not get much better than that! <smile.). And I can't lie: I was just laughing right now reading your post! In my earlier post, I was just referring to NEW laughs on TV. Even Buffy has not had than many lately (OK I admit it, I did laugh when Andrew smashed his head when trying to use his jet-pack <turning her head in shame>). Not that many shows REALLY make me roll on the floor but "Will & Grace" and maybe "Titus." But again, I'm weird too! <smile>

FTTC-Formal Tea Time Communication-- NOTICE OF ON-SITE INSPECTION
Posted by: Supernatural lawyer - May 17, 2002, 2:55 AM 7 of 23

In view of the latest events and increased oddness of Tea Time, and after a special board meeting, the members of the C democratically (but still beautifully) resolved as follows:

that the C will, AT ONCE, send a representative to investigate words of contraband sand-gas and other allegations of illegal use of commando style sleep-depravation techniques on the part of the Tea Time organizer(s.) FP and his friends are hereby required to stay no less than 10 feet away from the investigator while she prawls the beach for clues. Such thorough on-site inspection will take place on May 19 anytime between 10a.m. and 3p.m. Any attempt to hide evidence or temper with the sand will be severely punished.

In addition, the C gives their representative the authorization to depose all parties involved in this matter, including, but not limited to, a certain "Spike" whose mention in a recent series of TT sonnets first raised concerns (and eyebrows) regarding the sanity of said TT organizer(s).

Reply to this formal notice, if any, will have to be posted on the CB on, or before, Friday May 17, midnight (Bronze time).

Dated: May 16, 2002
Signed: SL, counselor of the macabre and of the "C."

Hi SL, you know, it's funny
Posted by: prunehilda - May 17, 2002, 2:49 AM 8 of 23

I laugh at TV all the time like tonight when I watched the Dracula episode of Buffy again. Every time Xander ate one of those bugs....well, I'm laughing right now just thinking about it. But then again, as my daughter informed me recently, I'm weird and have a weird sense of humour.

Seen tonight on TV
Posted by: Supernatural lawyer - May 17, 2002, 2:26 AM 9 of 23

One of the funniest men on TV miming the phrase :"We'll make popcorn and ... watch Buffy."

A good old-fashioned laugh is so rare (on TV) these days...

Dear FP
Posted by: Supernatural lawyer - May 17, 2002, 2:03 AM 10 of 23

A few words of cheering for the "Go Fish" project. I know you have not slept much. That may actually help! I'm sorry I blew it by posting 4 sonnets. Don't you just hate beginners! They're such show-offs!
But remember tomorrow is "sloppy Friday." Even half a sonnet about half a line in Go Fish will do. Good luck.
And a quick smile for the rooad: <smile>

Dear Forensic,
Posted by: prunehilda - May 17, 2002, 12:48 AM 11 of 23

Those four sonnets will come to you I'm sure. Sleep well.

About Go Fish
Posted by: Supernatural lawyer - May 16, 2002, 8:58 PM 12 of 23

I understand your doubts and your fears. FOUR sonnets! I could not even believe it myself. But see it as a challenge rather than an outrage. Reward the boldness, the creativity; ignore the emptiness of the subject matter or the mistakes of the beginner.
I promise I'll do better : only ONE sonnet next time! <g>

<Note to self: avoid angering the hand that feeds you, avoid angering the hand that feeds you... Damn it!>

Dear FP
Posted by: Supernatural lawyer - May 16, 2002, 8:53 PM 13 of 23

I heard about Sleep... Have not met him in a while though. Say "hi" for me (if he remembers me..). Hopefully, I'll get reacquainted with him on Sunday, on the sandy beach; otherwise I'll have to wait for my next vacation in 2012. <g>

Isn't it the weekend yet?!?!?! <serious smile>
Posted by: forensicpopouri - May 16, 2002, 8:41 PM 14 of 23

Must sleep now.

Just corrected that. First thing I typed was "Most sleep now."

Hmmmm . . . 4 sonnets on "Go Fish"? I don't think so. What to do?

Oh yeah. Sleep.

Sleep is good.

Sleep is very good.

Where is sleep?

Will find it later. . . after I sleep. <seriously whacked out grin>

All right, it took me the time, but I got it
Posted by: Supernatural lawyer - May 16, 2002, 6:56 PM 15 of 23

"TO ALL - 5. - Keep that in mind. It drops by one, tomorrow. " i.e. the number of days left before the end drops by one unit everyday. Nothing will happen "by 1pm tomorrow"!

<Note to self: immediately delete the "over-thinking" feature on my last semi-working brain cell> <smile>

5 . . . 4 . . . 3 . . . 2 . . . 1
Posted by: forensicpopouri - May 16, 2002, 6:28 PM 16 of 23

Excuse the confusion <ewg>. Let me restate.

Dear participants . . .

Remember that we are fast approaching THE END.

Showing up as much as possible at Tea Time
might be a good idea.

<sincere smile>

REQUEST TO ALL PARTICIPANTS (Democratically requesting features for the Bronze)
Posted by: forensicpopouri - May 16, 2002, 6:23 PM 17 of 23

As you may have noticed the FEEDBACK & SUGGESTIONS area
of The Bronze threads . . . is chaos. <serious smile>

If you would (and agree) . . . I would appreciate your adding your vote
(amplification etc) to the thread I just started in the F&S area.

If this seems "strangely indirect" <smile> . . . let's just say that some
things need to be taught by example.

BOTTOM LINE: <smile> If you have a moment, and agree with one or both
of my FEATURE REQUESTS for The Bronze site, then add a thumbs up.
(And, I mean this sincerely, If you disagree . . . or have a different
suggestion . . . definitely say that. REMEMBER what I said about
"Politically Incorrect")

Dear VR
Posted by: Supernatural lawyer - May 16, 2002, 5:46 PM 18 of 23

I though 6 or 5 meant the number of days left till the end of TT. Of course, I am--as you--clueless as to what we are supposed to do before 1 tomorrow. It must be so obvious for FP!

Forensic, luv, forgive me if this question seems less than ethereal...
Posted by: VretilRaduriel - May 16, 2002, 5:36 PM 19 of 23

and hence, dense. But, Just what do the 6. and the 5. from yesterday and today's corkboards mean? Your shorthand, in this case, is too short, I'm afraid. If you desire us to DO SOMETHING this "stick" you're using isn't going to be particularly effective unless we know what it is you want us to do. So please, clarification!

Postcard to FP
Posted by: Supernatural lawyer - May 16, 2002, 5:16 PM 20 of 23

Yes, the "missteps" are clear now... and I apologize for them. Actual work has got in the way of many things lately. Feel free to write a letter of complaint to my managing partner if that's not acceptable! <smile>
<Note to self: get prescription of Ritalin for newly diagnosed ADD. Can't I just count Tea Leaves without making mistakes?>

As explained in my "Go Fish" post, the sonnets WILL be re-posted on Friday's TT (unless the DSL Gods see it differently or another earthquake hits us! <smile>).

Final note: tears were mutual, believe me.

POSTCARDS FROM FORENSICPOPOURI
Posted by: forensicpopouri - May 16, 2002, 5:01 PM 21 of 23

PRAYER:Thank you for the tears in my eyes . . . from the beauty of
what I have read on the CORKBOARDS today. Bless those responsible,
as they have blessed me. AMEN

NOTE: THESE RESPONSES COVER . . . FROM AND NOW IT'S WEDNESDAY . . .
TO AND NOW IT'S THURSDAY. . . . (i.,e. posts after midnight will be responded to tomorrow)

TO sonneteers - See PRAYER above. (I will dwell on them this weekend.)

TO ALL - 5. - Keep that in mind. It drops by one, tomorrow.
Keep in mind day 1.

TO "C" - Your FTTCs have been smiled upon by ThePowersThatTea.
Tea Leaf counts will be adjusted accordingly

TO YS - Do you know that you're YS? Hope you have time to write a
end of Tea Time in L.A. song. <serious smile>

TO BK - RE: KEVLAR: (BLACK & RED) Places for your own thoughts
about the experience of this. BLACK for your public-private thoughts with name attached.
RED for your thoughts . . . anonymously posted. At least for now . . . perhaps forever.

TO SL - Haven't you figured out what the "misstep" was yet? <smile>
Even monkey figured it out . . . and he's got his hands full in the forrest. <ewg>
P.S. "Go Fish" if Friday's EOTD. (Of course you knew that.<smile>) Bravo!

TO VR - True names are not the mystery. But congratulations! <smile>
BTW: Miracles happen. I have seen it with my own eyes . . . flying over Santa Monica.

HAIKU CLUE

What is the diff'rence
between a "C" BACKCHANNEL
and a "C" CLUBHOUSE?

Forensic Popouri:
Posted by: VretilRaduriel - May 16, 2002, 4:43 PM 22 of 23

It now occurs to me that rage, in its
Degree, and more, does differ, sure, from this
Emotion some do see as anger just.

While anger often moves with little thought,
The case not always is so clear. There is
An anger, righteous, just, and wed it's not,
To violence, fear. That anger does not miss.

And There lies power. World's misfortune felt
And not let be. Desire to change the hearts
Of enemies, not kill, destroy. To melt
Or rather, burn, conflicting views and start

A discourse new, by passion strong that's backed.
Self-righteous clarity requires a mind
That first will pay a heed to thoughts. Will lacked
This element when she did claim to find

All clear. Her rage is power, but it's blind.
It moves with pain, and leaves black hate behind.

DELAY - FP'S POSTCARDS WILL BE DELAYED ONE HOUR (UNTIL 5:00 PM BRONZE)
Posted by: forensicpopouri - May 16, 2002, 4:05 PM 23 of 23

FP got four hours sleep . . . and one gallon of coffee takes time to consume.